Fujifilm FinePix 3D W3 Vs Sony Cyber-Shot 3D TX9
The Fujifilm FinePix REAL 3D W3 is one of the best 3D cameras you can find today, it is bought by more photographers and digital camera owners looking for their next 3D camera. On the other side there is the Sony Cyber-Shot TX9, that was launched as the world smallest 3D camera.
See at Amazon – Fujifilm Finepix W3
See at Amazon – Sony Cyber-Shot TX9
Compare Fujifilm W3 to the Sony TX9
Capture 3D Still Images Capability
The fundamental basic comparison for those new 3D cameras should be between the ability to capture 3D videos and 3D images. In this comparison the Fuji W3 3D camera as a substantial advantage, as it is the first mass market consumer 3D digital camera – with dual lenses. While the Fijifilm Finepix W3 has two lenses set a few inches a side, the Sony Cyber-Shot TX9 has only one lens.
The double lenses is the basic important feature that make the any camera become a true 3D, as it can capture two image frames and set them together for a 3D perspective depth view.
In this feature the Fuji W3 camera wins in a ‘knockout’ as the Sony one lens can not capture a single frame 3D perspective.
Capture 3D Video Clips Capability
Both 3D cameras, Fuji W3 and the Sony TX9 can capture 3D video clips. The style of the clips may be a little different, which may matter to some and be irrelevant to others. In our view the Fujifilm W3 3D has some advantage in this comparison too.
The Fujifilm W3 can shoot high-resolution 3D photos and movies effortlessly with 3D Auto mode. With the twin lenses inside it, a camera user needs just to point and shoot. The 3D perspective will be captured as the two sensors collect the light coming through the two lenses, and combined into a 3D movie clip.
The Sony TX9 can create 3D clips as it is the Sony technology way to overcome the one lens gap. The Sony TX9 has a sweep panorama mode that when you shoot a video clip, and sway the camera in a panoramic motion, there are thousands of frames captured, those frames are then combined as side by side format to produce a 3D perspective clip. So as long as the Sony TX9 camera is moving sweep sideways, it can capture 3D videos.
3D LCD Screen Compared
Both 3D cameras have actually made somewhat of a standard for the LCD 3D viewable screens. They both have a 3.5 Inch LCD 3D screen. The Sony TX9 has a 3.5-inch Xtra Fine LCD touch screen display w/TruBlack technology (921K pixels). The Fuji W3 has 3.5-inch, Approx. 1,150,000 dots color LCD monitor with Lenticular type.
Sony TX9 has LCD touch screen controls while the Fuji W3 controls are at the side.
Both use the Parallax Barrier which is a way to ‘break’ down the light into two different lines of sight, one for the left eye and one for the right eye. So with both 3D cameras you can see your 3D videos (and the Fuji 3D still images) without the need for any 3D glasses.
3D Video and Still Formats
The Sony TX9 3D uses 12.2 Megapixel Back-illuminated “Exmor R” CMOS Image Sensor, the Fuji W3 has 10.0 megapixels.
The Sony TX9 record 2D HD movies in 1080i AVCHD high definition at 60i (interlace) or 1080p (progressive) MP4 movie mode the camera shoots 1440×1080 high definition movies at 30 fps. The Sony uses the Panoramic Sweep mode of multiple 2D images to create a 3D scene.
The Fujifilm Finepix W3 have 3D Still image: MPO+JPEG, MPO (Multi Picture Format compatible) and 3D Movie: 3D-AVI (Stereo AVI format with 2 image channels), 2D Movie: AVI format (Motion JPEG with stereo sound)
When shooting 3D video mode, when a movie reaches a size of 4 GB, recording will briefly pause and then resume in a new file.
SDHC Memory Size
Both cameras support SD or SDHC cards. Note that the HD files tend to be large files so larger storage capacity is needed (SD cards will not be enough..). 3D files are even larger as they combine more information per image, and large SDHC cards are recommended. The Fuji W3 website recommends Class 6 or higher for best performance with the Finepix W3, see our review for Fujifilm SDHC best memory cards.
For the Fujifilm you can expect for 3D movies length per format type/memory capacity (approx):
|8 GB||HD: 21min.||VGA: 54min||QVGA: 1hr. 40min.|
|16 GB||HD: 42min.||VGA: 1hr. 47min.||QVGA: 3hr. 19min.|
|32 GB||HD: 1.24min.||VGA: 3hr 30min||QVGA: 6hr. 40min.|
Fuji W3 3D HD – When a movie reaches the max size of 4 GB, the camera itself recording will pause for a split second and then resume in a new file. Fuji W3 3D VGA/QVGA – Total length of all movie files. Individual movies can not exceed 2GB, regardless of capacity.
User Picture Modes Features
Well in this category Sony TX9 is presenting and ‘endless’ list of picture features. Though most of them are functioning only at 2D mode and not on the 3D Sweep Panoramic mode.
The Fujifilm 3D W3 has some user 3D unique picture modes like:
- Advanced 3D Modes: Individual Shutter 3D Shooting, in which you can take two different single angle shots and the Finepix Fuji W3 can combine them into an enhanced 3D picture!
- Capture 3D Macro photos with a more natural sense of depth when shooting in macro.
- Advanced 3D Modes: Interval 3D Shooting, think of shooting 3D pictures from a moving car or a plane window – With a single press of the button, the camera automatically takes successive shots and creates new demention for 3D photos.
- Parallax Control (3D Tuning Function) – The Fujifilm W3 3D Camera automatically adjusts parallax in 3D Auto mode for an optimal sense of depth. Manual setting posible too.
- For the 2D mode the Fujifilm Finepix W3 has further features – Face Detection (with Red-eye removal), Multi-frame playback (with Micro Thumbnail), Sorting by date, Cropping, Re-size, Slideshow, Image rotate
The Sony TX9 camera picture features are (in 2D picture mode):
- Anti Motion Blur – Keeps the picture sharp, even if you are not..
- Face Detection : 8 Faces (Auto / Touch / Child Priority / Adult Priority) the Sony TX9 will follow and kep in focus the faces you tell it to focus on.
- Smile Shutter™ technology – Sony fun feature, no more ‘Say Cheeeeeeeze” the Sony TX9 will do that for you and find the frame with the smile.
- Image Stabilization : Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization – Keeps the picture stable for you.
- In-Camera Editing : Trimming / Red Eye Correction / Unsharp Masking
- Background Defocus : Low / Mid / High – creat the illusion of super focus while background gets blur.
- Blink Detection : Same as the smile detection, Sony TX9 will find the best frame where the person was not blinking.
Sony TX9 3D Vs Fujifilm Finepix W3 3D Conclusion
There are more differences and features between the two cameras, Sony TX9 and the Fujifilm W3, though many customers compare the two they are really un-comparable, as the Sony TX9 is a 2D superior camera with a 3D function add on. The Fujifilm IS a 3D camera that can serve you as very good 2D camera as well. So it is up to you what you are really looking for.
Which to Buy?
Are you looking for a 3D camera?
Then the Fujifilm W3 3D Finepix (click for price) is by far a better 3D camera.
If You are looking for a stylish 2D camera?
You get plenty of 2D picture modes, and 3D fun feature with the Sony Cyber Shot TX9 (click for price).